Friday, May 30, 2008

Observation #8

May 29, 2008
Site: The Cottenwood Park Pond
Time: 5:12 PM
Temperature: 45 Degrees F
Weather: It was pouring rain and it was cloudy and windy and cold!
Soil: Soaked

Today when I went to the pond, it was so cold and wet. It was also windy and just horrible weather to be outside in. I saw robins and starlings and a new specias of bird, a crow. The crow was big and black and towered above the other smaller birds. The robins and the starlings were showing some comption with each other, they were fighting over the worms. The crow got to eat all the worms he wanted because he was so much bigger and he could probley eat the smaller birds. A worns niche in it's enviroment is to create dirt. Because the birds eat the worms, it is a parasitism form of symbiotic relationship. I also heard above the pounding sound of the rain, a frog croaking. I went to go find him, but I could not find him. He was too camoflagued and blended in way too well. I hope that he doesn't get eaten, because I liked him and he had adapted well to his enviroment. Well, this is the last observation and I have seen so much biodiversity happen in this month. I noticed things that I would never have before and I learned so much. I saw many new organsims fill an enviroment and I witnesed food chanins and experienced food webs. It was a great learning experience!

1 comment:

Ms. Overly said...

Great observations of the specific behaviors of the organisms in your area! Also, good incorporation of competition and biodiveristy. More details could be used about the decomposers role in your area. How specifically does it create dirt? Fantastic job overall!