Thursday May 15
Site: The Cottenwood Park Pond
Time: 6:38PM
Temperature: 70 Degrees F
Weather: Warm, beautiful, and SUNNY!!!
Soil: Kinda dry, what you think of when you think of soil, regular soilish
When I went to my site yesturday, it was warm and wonderful out. It made me happy. The starlings were there, only there wasn't as many of them as there was before. Also, they were not doing their weird tail feather thing. I tryed to listen for the low pitched noise I heard that came with the tail feathering, but I did not hear it. I did hear a sharp, high pitched call. I wonder what bird that was. I heard it a few times. The green grass was still growing and was looking very good and strong. I finally identified (with the help of Mr. Henery and Mrs. Overly) the buds on the aspen trees. They are female "flowers" called catkins. They are the reproductive organisms on the aspen trees. They will be fertalized and then able to produce many more baby aspen trees. That is very cool. Upstream, things were looking the same. Nothing has changed at all. The green thing is still there and then the stream flows, flows, stills, and then ends. I can't wait for my pond to fill up. I literly can not wait.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Great identification of the various organisms in your community! You can also talk about how these reproductive traits of the aspen trees help ensure that they will continue to grow elsewhere! Also, it's good that you don't just write about the organisms you see, but you also observe their physical habits (such as the bird shaking its tail!) Just proof for a few small typos!
wow. sometimes do you have the overwhelming urge to slap somebody?? well ya i am having that feeling right now about you! and although ms overly liked your blog, she did say to FIX THE TYPOS ricky. wow. and btw you WINK WINK need to spend the weekend with me for my birthday.....
:-)
Post a Comment